The story of David is one of the most remarkable stories of the bible. Here it is, the entire nation of Israel is trembling and only one little boy (David) had the courage to face the formidable enemy (1 Samuel 17:32-40). Or should I say, one little boy with faith. This is what it takes to win our battles, just us and faith, remembering that God is already there waiting to fight by our side. All we got to do is take up faith.
When we have faith as our starting point, nothing is impossible, or phrased another way, with faith everything is possible. So much so, that David decided to not take up King Saul’s armour and to only utilize small stones and a slingshot. This in itself is remarkable! David used stones only, without even putting on any defensive armour on his body to block a strike. He had his weapon of stone and was confident that the enemy would not even land a single blow on his body. Hallelujah…!
When God is with you, even stones can be converted to fight with you and for you. Wow my friends, this excites me! When you are with God, anything around you can be used to bring you the victory.
God loves to use these ordinary and mundane things to teach us object lessons, and one of His favourite objects for His lessons is stones.
- God used stones with David to bring the victory.
- God used a rock (larger stone) to bring water to a nation (Numbers 20:1-13). WASA ‘ain’t got nothin’ with our God’.
- God can use stones to teach us how to worship when we want to remain silent. (Luke 19:40).
- God used stones to carve the initial 10 commandments. (Exodus 34:1, Joshua 8:32). The words etched in stone to connote longevity, came from God himself. 😊
Our Heavenly Father not only deals with outward stones but inward stones as well; the inward stones of our hearts.
Ezekiel 36:26 (NIV) 26 I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh.
Stones display a kind of hard strength and immovability about them. In this regard, this is where we need to be the complete opposite. We need to be soft and gentle (Colossians 3:12) in order for God to put His words in our heart. God still wants to do the etching, but it is our hearts we must be presenting.
Hebrews 8:10 (NIV) 10 This is the covenant I will establish with the people of Israel after that time, declares the Lord. I will put my laws in their minds and write them on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people.
Jehovah is not only the Master of the physical stones and hearts of stone, but He takes preeminence on spiritual ones as well and uses them to teach us about who He is:
- Isaiah 28:16 (NIV) 16 So this is what the Sovereign LORD says: “See, I lay a stone in Zion, a tested stone, a precious cornerstone for a sure foundation; the one who relies on it will never be stricken with panic.
- Acts 4:11 (NIV) 11 Jesus is the stone you builders rejected, which has become the cornerstone.
- 1 Peter 2:4 (NIV) 4 As you come to him, the living Stone — rejected by humans but chosen by God and precious to him.
- Matthew 21:42-44 (NIV) 42 Jesus said to them, “Have you never read in the Scriptures: “The stone the builders rejected has become the cornerstone; the Lord has done this, and it is marvellous in our eyes?” 43 “Therefore I tell you that the kingdom of God will be taken away from you and given to a people who will produce its fruit. 44 Anyone who falls on this stone will be broken to pieces; anyone on whom it falls will be crushed.”
Jesus is the chief Cornerstone, and he wants to form a partnership with us. In this partnership everyone has to bring something to the table. It is Stone for stone! We have to bring our stony and hard hearts, and in turn God will give us the precious stone, that one true Stone, which is the sure foundation (Jesus Christ). We get this sure foundation of Christ because God is redeeming us back to himself in holiness.
1 Peter 2:5 (NIV) 5 you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.
God brought us this blessing and victory through the death and resurrection of His son. Again, the Master of all things pertaining to stones, rolled the stone away (Luke 24:2) to present us with newness of life.
Dear Friends, God wants to transform us into something beautiful. Everything is finished and in place due to the wonderful work of Jesus on the cross. All we must do now is surrender our hearts to Him, in order to get the victory in all aspects of our lives.
Do not think that you are too inadequate, ‘sin-full’, or unlovable for God to enter your life. Nor do I want you to believe that you have nothing to offer or nothing of substance in your life, that is valuable or usable. All you have to do is take up faith and believe in your God. For with Faith, everything is Possible!
I close by saying, a stone is a sure foundation. But our stone is impenetrable, gives life, living water and was there from the foundation of the world. I thank the Lord, that the Chief Cornerstone, is our Stone!!
PS: Dane Miller was last seen praising God so loudly that he silenced some stones around his house.
Your Brother in the Lord,
Dane Miller | Author
PS: I welcome your feedback on this blog post and encourage you to leave a comment below or subscribe/follow for new blog releases via email.